NOTICE OF JOB VACANCY
JOB POSTING #: 20-2021
DATE OF POSTING: April 14, 2021
DATE OF CLOSING: May 5, 2021
TITLE: Senior Policy Advisor
SALARY: Commensurate with Experience
EXISTING VACANCIES: One (1) WORKWEEK: NL
DIVISION/LOCATION: Board of Public Utilities
Office of Policy & Planning
DESCRIPTION: Manage the day to day operations of the Office of Policy & Planning. The Senior Policy Advisor serves as a member of the BPU’s Senior Staff providing support on policy issues. In consultation and collaboration with the Offices of the Chief of Staff, Executive Director, and General Counsel, provides advice and opinions regarding the policy implications of Board action.
- Provide expert advice and opinions on policy matters related to or resulting from Board Action.
- Supervise staff of the Office of Policy & Planning.
- Lead special projects as directed by the President including but not limited to external research projects, emerging federal policies, international policy issues or trends in energy and emerging technologies and updates of the state’s energy master plan.
- Act as a liaison to other state/regional utility commissions or energy agencies responsible for energy policy program implementation.
- Act as a liaison to federal agencies including but not limited to the US Department of Energy (USDOE), the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), US Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) regarding programs or policies impacting funding or implementation of BPU programs.
- Manage external consultants providing research or support to the Board and effectively communicating the Board’s policies and goals to external consultants.
- In collaboration with BPU’s Senior Staff and any external program consultants, analyze programs and operations of the Board and develop suggested programs and procedures.
- Serve as a representative of the Board as requested by the President in meetings with other governmental agencies, at inter-agency meetings, policy groups or with external audiences at public events, programs and/or meetings.
REQUIREMENTS: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree. An advanced degree in management, policy or other related areas would be helpful.
EXPERIENCE: Seven to ten (7-10) years of policy experience of which three (3) should have been in a supervisory capacity.
The successful candidate will possess and demonstrate a broad range of managerial and leadership skills, including: strong communication and interpersonal skills; thorough problem analysis; creative thinking; prudent decision making and sound judgment. The ability to manage, develop and delegate to staff, coordinate and lead interdepartmental cooperation and understanding the importance of organizational awareness are required.
OPEN TO THE FOLLOWING: Open to NJ Residents.
NOTE: RESIDENCY LAW: Pursuant to N.J.S.A. 52:14-7 (L. 2011, Chapter 70), also known as the “New Jersey First Act,” which became effective September 1, 2011, all persons newly hired by the Executive Branch on or after that date shall have one year from the date of employment to establish, and then maintain principal residence in the State of New Jersey.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest, resume, and Personal Relationships Disclosure Form (Click Here). Please make sure to include the posting number in the subject line via email. All documents must be submitted by the closing date shown above to the following:
NJ Board of Public Utilities
Office of Human Resources
P.O. BOX 350
Trenton, NJ 08625
Visit us at: https://nj.gov/bpu/
The New Jersey Board of Public Utilities is an Equal Opportunity Employer.