NOTICE OF JOB VACANCY
JOB POSTING #: 37-2021
DATE OF POSTING: November 24, 2021
DATE OF CLOSING: December 15, 2021
TITLE: Geographic Information Systems Specialist 2
SALARY: $66,877.22 – $95,059.28
EXISTING VACANCIES: One (1) WORKWEEK: NL (35 hours)
DIVISION/LOCATION: Board of Public Utilities
Division of Clean Energy
Under direction of the Division Director or other supervisory official, designs, develops, coordinates, and conducts computerized geographic information system work relating to the geographic analysis of environmental parameters and/or other factors, image processing, interpretation and application of remote sensing data, and mathematical cartography research; coordinates and conducts the operation and maintenance of computer hardware and software associated with the Geographic Information System (GIS); does other related duties.
• Conducts and/or coordinates study, design, data acquisition, data reformatting, and application of the GIS and image processing software (that is, supervised classifications, feature enhancement, area calculation) for application specific to agency projects, activities, and issues.
• Coordinates activities of data acquisition and design coding conventions to ensure compatibility with geographic files; coordinates and when necessary instructs system users for specific activities in data entry and editing procedures and in the creation of SAS and other equivalent statistical packages programs to perform complex statistical routines and generate reports which may then be input to GIS software.
• Based on user requirements, performs and/or coordinates the design, development and maintenance of statistical programs to perform complex statistical routines and to generate reports which may then be input to GIS software.
• Operates and/or coordinates the operation of the GIS and all associated hardware and software to ensure proper display of results of computer analysis (which cannot be economically prepared with conventional cartography) by coordinating the application of cartographic principles in the production of finished maps.
• Coordinates activities for the department with private vendors performing data formatting tasks.
• Acts as technical advisor to department staff and other agencies on questions or problems which may arise in reference to statistical mapping.
• Coordinates the operation of a color graphics display computer as it is simultaneously linked to time-sharing computers to produce maps and remote sensing images.
• Coordinates and/or performs the design of layout and features on map, graph, and chart output products from the GIS.
• Coordinates and/or oversees data base design, development, and organization for automation and analysis for assignments relating to the GIS.
• Conducts, coordinates, and/or oversees research on modeling, computer graphic, and mathematical mapping techniques made possible by the GIS, and relates these directly to information needs for using agencies.
• Prepares and/or coordinates the preparation of technical reports and correspondence in the course of official duties.
REQUIREMENTS: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree preferred.
Three (3) years of experience with geographic information systems including computer graphics and computer hardware.
NOTE: A Master’s degree in Geography, or Environmental Science may be substituted for one (1) year of the indicated experience.
NOTE: Applicants who do not possess the required education may substitute additional experiences as indicated on a year-for-year basis with thirty (30) semester hour credits being equal to one (1) year of the above experience.
NOTE: A specific Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Environmental Science or related field with twelve (12) semester hours in computer mapping/GIS which shall have included spatial programming and digital image processing may be substituted for one (1) year of the above experience.
NOTE: We value inclusion, integrity, innovation, empowerment, and hard work above all else. Candidates with relevant undergraduate or professional experience are encouraged to apply, as are candidates who have shown a strong commitment to remedying the historical under-representation of people of color in energy through their work promoting equity, inclusion, and diversity as well as through their own lived experiences
OPEN TO THE FOLLOWING: Open to NJ Residents.
NOTE: RESIDENCY LAW: Pursuant to N.J.S.A. 52:14-7 (L. 2011, Chapter 70), also known as the “New Jersey First Act,” which became effective September 1, 2011, all persons newly hired by the Executive Branch on or after that date shall have one year from the date of employment to establish, and then maintain principal residence in the State of New Jersey.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest, resume, and Personal Relationships Disclosure Form (Click Here). Please make sure to include the posting number in the subject line via email. All documents must be submitted by the closing date shown above to the following:
NJ Board of Public Utilities
Office of Human Resources
P.O. BOX 350
Trenton, NJ 08625
Visit us at: https://nj.gov/bpu/
The New Jersey Board of Public Utilities is an Equal Opportunity Employer.