NOTICE OF JOB VACANCY
JOB POSTING #: 03-2022
DATE OF POSTING: January 12, 2022
DATE OF CLOSING: February 4, 2022
TITLE: Deputy Director of Communications (Gov. Rep 1)
SALARY: Commensurate with Experience
EXISTING VACANCIES: One (1) WORKWEEK: NL (35 hours)
DIVISION/LOCATION: Board of Public Utilities
Office of Communications
The New Jersey Board of Public Utilities (NJBPU) is seeking a Deputy Director to join our Communications Division. As the state’s utility regulator and lead agency implementing Governor Murphy’s Clean Energy agenda, we are looking for a dynamic individual skilled in writing and media relations, with social media experience. An ideal candidate is a visionary who works well as part of a team and is motivated by the fast pace of government and the opportunity to implement progressive clean energy and climate change policies.
The Deputy Director will report to the Director of Communications providing writing, editing, project management and supervisory support. The Deputy Director works closely with NJBPU leadership to promote the agency’s mission, policy priorities, and accomplishments, particularly the state’s leading role when it comes to developing and implementing clean energy.
• Contribute to the development and implementation of NJBPU’s communications strategy, including editorial calendar;
• Work closely with Division Directors and Senior Staff to design strategic communications around priority issues and Board decisions;
• Develop and manage projects assigned to the Communications Division such as public awareness campaigns, development of publications, and marketing initiatives;
• Draft and edit talking points and remarks for BPU President, Commissioners and Senior Staff;
• Support the BPU’s Public Information Officer with media relations;
• Research, identify and complete award applications;
• Manage constituent correspondence from BPU President;
• Draft, edit and distribute press releases;
• Develop Social Media strategies, messaging and support, as needed; and
• Assist Director with additional duties including but not limited to supervision of Division staff.
REQUIREMENTS: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree.
EXPERIENCE: Five (5) years’ experience in government, communications or public affairs in a public or private entity.
Demonstrated managerial skills, including such factors as interpersonal skills, decision-making, problem analysis and creative thinking, administrative judgment, delegation, managerial or financial control, interdepartmental cooperation/liaison, development of subordinates and organizational awareness are required. Good communication skills and leadership skills necessary.
NOTE: We value inclusion, integrity, innovation, empowerment, and hard work above all else. Candidates with relevant undergraduate or professional experience are encouraged to apply, as are candidates who have shown a strong commitment to remedying the historical under-representation of people of color in energy through their work promoting equity, inclusion, and diversity as well as through their own lived experiences.
OPEN TO THE FOLLOWING: Open to NJ Residents.
NOTE: RESIDENCY LAW: Pursuant to N.J.S.A. 52:14-7 (L. 2011, Chapter 70), also known as the “New Jersey First Act,” which became effective September 1, 2011, all persons newly hired by the Executive Branch on or after that date shall have one year from the date of employment to establish, and then maintain principal residence in the State of New Jersey.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest, resume, and Personal Relationships Disclosure Form (Click Here). Please make sure to include the posting number in the subject line via email. All documents must be submitted by the closing date shown above to the following:
NJ Board of Public Utilities
Office of Human Resources
P.O. BOX 350
Trenton, NJ 08625
Visit us at: https://nj.gov/bpu/
The New Jersey Board of Public Utilities is an Equal Opportunity Employer.